Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bad Girl

Oh my God, I haven't blogged in a long time. I'm sorry, I just didn't have time. That said, I am now here with a delicious recipe for you to try. I found this while surfing on the Internet, and I'm happy to say that it more than exceeded my expectations. It does have yeast, and it will need to rise for about three hours, but it's actually really easy, especially if you have a KitchenAid stand mixer. However, the first time I made it, I didn't have one and it was still delicious. It's also no-knead, but a few turns under your hands improves it immensely. On to the recipe!

For The Dough


  • 1 Tb. of active dry yeast




  • 1 1/2 cups of warm milk - 110 to 115 degrees




  • 4 cups of all-purpose unbleached flour




  • 1/2 cup of white sugar




  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt




  • 1 cup of melted butter cooled - no substitute




  • 4 egg yolks gently mixed




  • 2 egg whites - optional




  • Jam of your choice or cream cheese filling recipe




  • Glaze

    For The Glaze





  • 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar




  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract




  • 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk In a bowl, place the warm milk, sugar and yeast. Let the mixture sit until the surface becomes foamy - about 5 minutes.
    Add the flour, salt, melted butter (cooled a tad. If too hot, it will kill the yeast), and the egg yolks. Mix well until your dough is elastic.
    Your dough will still be sticky and that is okay.
    Now, there are two methods which work equally well:
    1. Put a plastic film over the top of the bowl and place the whole thing overnight in the fridge.
    2. Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and let the dough stand at room temperature for about one hour - up to one hour and a half. Then place the whole bowl in the fridge for an additional hour.

    Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick.
    With a biscuit cutter - about 3 inches in diameter - I cut some circles in the dough and I place them on a greased cookie sheet.
    Let the Danishes rise for 30 minutes to one hour.
    Then with the back of a soup spoon - or your fingers - make some wells in the middle of the pastries. Fill them with either jam or the cream cheese filling.
    Wait about 10 minutes and place the Danishes in an oven heated to 350 degree for 14 to 16 minutes.
    Note: Before placing in the oven, you can brush the Danishes with the egg white to make them more golden in color as they bake.

    While the Danish pasties are baking make the glaze by blending all the ingredients together.
    Pour over the hot Danishes.
    This recipe will yield about 2 dozen Danishes.

    Cream Cheese Filing Recipe





  • 12 oz of cream cheese




  • 1/3 cup of white sugar




  • 1 egg
    Cream the cream cheese and sugar. Add the egg and blend some more.
    Place in the "well" of the Danishes and bake as usual.



  • Please do make this, if you have heard of my blog. I've started a few months ago and practically no-one's read it at all. You can make it with instant yeast. On a related note, I did take a photo of it, but it just wouldn't upload. I do have a picture that came from the website I got it from, however. Mine actually
    Danish Pastry Recipe
    looked nicer than that, though I do say it myself.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment